Chive plant belongs to Allium family of herbs and vegetables. This family also includes onions, leeks, garlic, and scallions. All these vegetables are in use for past many decades. They have several medicinal benefits as well. Majority of the people are still unaware of their nutritional breakdown. All of you will be surprised to know the health benefits of chive plant. Here in this article, readers will learn 10 amazing facts about chive plant.
Chive Plant Nutrition Facts
The flowers and stems of chive plant are edible. These are full of nutrients. Chives contain low calories but they are rich in nutrients like antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. One tablespoon can hold three grams of sliced chives that provide one calorie. It also gives less than one gram of carbohydrate, fat, or protein. 3% of the daily value of vitamin C and A is provided by chive plant.
One tablespoon of chives contains 1.7 milligrams vitamin C and 131 international units of vitamin A. It also entails 6.4 µg vitamin K, 3 milligrams calcium, 3 µg folate, 9 milligrams potassium, 1 milligram magnesium, and 2 milligrams phosphorous. Choline is also present in chive plant. In short, it can be said that chives are full of healthy nutrients. Their regular intake can provide several benefits.
Health Benefits of Chive Plant
1. Chives contain low calories but they are rich in nutrients like antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. One tablespoon can hold three grams of sliced chives that provide one calorie. It also gives less than one gram of carbohydrate, fat, or protein. 3% of the daily value of vitamin C and A is provided by chive plant.
2. One tablespoon of chives contains 1.7 milligrams vitamin C, 131 international units of vitamin A, 6.4 µg vitamin K, 3 milligrams calcium, 3 µg folate, 9 milligrams potassium, 1 milligram magnesium, and 2 milligrams phosphorous.
3. Chive plant has anti-carcinogenic properties that can fight against cancer-causing substance. Antioxidants are present in chives that demolish free radicals. They also prevent the development of tumors and cancer cells. Chive plant can treat esophageal, gastrointestinal tract, prostate, and stomach cancers.
4. Chives are rich in dietary fiber that adds roughage in the colon and intestines. It has been found that roughage aids in digestion. Thus, it prevents constipation, hemorrhoids, and diverticular disorders. Chive plant helps you get rid of fungi, bacteria, and yeast in the intestinal tract. In this way, it enables proper digestion.
5. Vitamin K is present in abundant quantity in chives. This vitamin is essential for long-term bone health. Bone dematerialization can be prevented by vitamin K as it helps cells’ regulation. Moreover, it also helps in producing osteocalcin (bone protein). Osteocalcin maintains the density of the bone mineral.
6. It also contains natural antiviral and antibacterial agents. Both these agents destroy dangerous microbes by working with vitamin C. Individuals can fight against flu and common cold by consuming chive plant.
7. Chives are capable of lowering bad cholesterol or LDL. They also increase good cholesterol or HDL because they contain allicin. Thus, they lower the risk of heart disease and stroke.
8. Chive plant also contains Flavonoids that help in stabilizing blood pressure. It(Flavonoids) also reduces hypertension.
9. Chives are enriched with vitamin C that assists in improving iron absorption within the body.
10. Chive plant contains sulphides and folid acid. Sulphides decrease blood pressure and blood lipids. On the other side, folic acid improves blood circulation.
These are benefits of chive plant. You can use this vegetable in cooking. It tastes good and you will like to eat chive. Chive is easily available in the markets. No need to worry about finding it in stores. It is easily accessible in the local stores as well. Simply buy it and start using it from today.